Home

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson was initially built between 1940-1941 and named for Brigadier General Wilds P. Richardson, who, among countless other accomplishments, headed the Alaska Road Commission, building garrisons and trails throughout the enormous territory. The air facilities and field on the new post was named Elmendorf Field, after Army Air Corps Captain Hugh M. Elmendorf, who died in 1933 while flying an experimental fighter near Wright Field, Ohio.

Contact: 673abw.ho@us.af.mil